Monday, March 02, 2015

Random Thoughts: February 22 to February 28 What a busy week

Inside of My Duct-dori

Cover of Duct-dori
February 22:

The pictures above are of my Duct-dori.  This small book is a faux version of the Midori which is a travel journal of sorts that is available in two sizes one of which is the size of a passport.  The real cover is made of fine leather and the thing that makes the books so special is that the pages are easily removed.  Elastic bands hold in the signatures, so when they are full, you can remove there for storage and insert new ones.

I like to watch live chats on Ustream...it has quite an artistic culture.  Many of these artists have been together for years.  I am quite new to the crew having discovered this phenomena mid-2014.   Viewing is free and most of the streamers provide lessons on a wide variety of artistic techniques.

Scrappy Camper Sisters stream on Saturdays (usually once a month) and the last post I viewed was on making a faux midori using duct tape.  I had been thinking about this for a while and wanted to use my mother's passport for my faux dori.  Hey, since they have a passport size a passport should work, right?  Anyhoo, after watching the stream I decided to give it a go.

Using leopard (I think it is Leopard) print duct tape I covered the book.  I found some mini-composition books at Dollar Tree - perfect.  I did not have to measure anything - I hate measuring.  Next I cut my elastic to size and tied them to the book cover.  Left the original pages in the book, added the mini-comps and closed the book.  OOPS!!! the mini-comps are longer than the cover, does not look good and I do not want to cut all of these pages.  Hmm, solution please.....then I had a light bulb moment.  I made a page extension (cannot think of the cute name) taped it to the back page, covered with leopard duct tape and folded it round the book.  Eureka!!!! Book looks great.

I am going use it in the Stick It Down Challenge the Scrapper sisters are hosting.  Should be fun.  My duct-dori fits in my purse and I can carry my mom with me always.

February 23:

Completed week 7 of DLP.  I am toying with the idea of combining week 8 with week 7.  Week 7 prompt was cover up the good stuff and week 8 is Repeat.  Not sure what I will do.  Will let you know at the end of the week. 

Bible study last night was really good.  We are studying the second major portion of Isaiah, chapters 40 to 55 in which the Israelites are rescued from exile in Babylon and the Redemption promise is revealed.


February 24:

Well I decided to combine week 7 and week 8.  It was just so natural.  This is the first time that I have really used stencils in my design and I have to say that I like it.  I now have one more technique under my belt.  Next up.....gelli plate and printmaking.  Lookout world.


DLP Journal page layout

February 25:

More work on the duct-dori.  I decided to paint the covers of the mini-comps and I like the way they came out.  I can no longer look at bland covers, they must have color and pizzaz.  It took most of the day because of drying time, but I really was not in a hurry.  It is the process and the fun of creating that counts for me now.

Had two meetings MOMs and Pastoral Council both were good meetings, but I was tired when I got home.  I realized that I will not have day free of meetings other activities until next Thursday.  I think I am going to have to get some Geritol (do they still make it?)

February 26:

Meeting I was supposed to have was cancelled, so I did not have to leave the house today.  This was a welcomed surprise.  I spent the day working on art projects and just relaxing.What a treat.

February 27:

Today was a great day.  I went down to the Tropicana Hotel to attend the vendors portion of Creative Painting Convention held in Las Vegas every year.  I had not heard of this convention before; however, Tracy Weinzapfel Stratton mentioned she was going to be there demoing products for DecoArts.  How do I know Tracy?  I watch her live stream on ustream.tv on Monday evenings.  I watch quite a few streams on this channel and some of the streamers recommended Tracy's show Mixed Media Mondays. She demo's DecoArt fluid acrylics and usually completes a painting within an hour.  There is great conversation and her tutorials are the best.

When Tracy mentioned she was going to be in Las Vegas at the convention, I thought it would be perfect to go down and meet her in person.  So, I hopped on the bus and away I went.  When I arrived at the Tropicana, I followed some ladies that had on badges figuring they were going to the convention.  I was right.  In order to get in the Vendor's exhibition hall, it was $10.00, armed wallet in hand, I asked the guard at the door where I could go to pay my fee, since it was the last day, she let me in free of charge---be still my heart.  Next, find booth 810 - DecoArts. As I walked down the opening aisle at the very end I found booth 810 and Tracy.  It was like greeting an old friend.  She knew on sight and greeted me with a big hug (We are Detroit girls).  It was such a great honor to meet her and chat.  Another Mixed Media Monday  fan travelled from Boston.  We took a picture together.

After saying good by to Tracy I wandered through the aisles looking at some great products, out of the corner of my eye I spotted Stampendous products.  Whoo boy, I had to stop.  Bought some wonderful stamps and when I was paying (it was getting to be the close of the show) the sales person said if you buy a couple more stamps you can get one free.  Well I was on a budget and could not buy anything else at that booth.  She looked at me, I looked at her and she said "it is the end of the day, here is a free stamp anyway."  How nice was that????

Ok, I had about $20 left to spend and I circled the floor a couple of times and saw the Brush Guys. Desert Art Supplies had recommended this booth because of their $1.00 and $2.00 paint brushes.  I got so excited to see brand name brushes - Simply Simmons, etc. for that price that I could hardly breathe.  In Fact I had to stop and calm down.  So I ended spending $24 (tax included) and got some excellent brushes.

Purchases in hand it was time to go home.  I was a happy, happy camper at the end of the day.

It was great to meet you Tracy.

February 28:

Last day of February.  Today was the retreat for children making their First Communion.  Spent the morning helping them paint chalices that will be glazed and fired and then practicing receiving Communion.  This was their first taste of the wine and some of them were hilarious.  It is so rewarding working with these young children, helping them grow in their faith.

I spent the rest of the day working on lifebook week 8 project, Treasure Seeking,  presented by Mati Rose McDonough


Painting on 9x12 Canvas

I really understand now that I am a folk artist, self taught and basically simple in scope.  I love it, because it really displays who I am.  Folk art speaks to me and my spirit.  I find that I am growing and thinking more.  I am trying things and feeling pure joy.  No more comparing, just doing.

See you next week,  thanks for stopping by.  Please feel free to leave a comment.  They make me happy.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Oh, my, I had forgotten about Geritol! Let me know if you find any, since I could use a good dose. I'm really enjoying these peeks into your life.

Christine said...

Love your duct-tori! And I especially love that you carry your mom with you. That's pretty special.