Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Random Thoughts: Week of April 12 to April 18: I am a Warrior

April 12:

I woke up this morning thinking again about where and how I fit in the art world when it hit me.  I have to keep giving myself permission to play.  I keep forgetting this aspect of life.  I have spent my whole life "preparing", wanting to fit in and realizing that I did not.  I was not the party girl, the socialite.  I was the quiet girl who drew pictures in her room, read books, played baseball better than a lot of the boys, wrote poetry and gave up the dream of being a writer because it would not pay the bills.

I was the teen mother who had to grow up quickly to take care of my child.  I worked hard and moved up through the ranks to a really good job.  I completed college at 49 and tried various crafts trying to find my passion.  I made cards but never had the confidence to try and market them.  I knit scarves with some of the most beautiful yarns and never sold them.  I continued to search and search.

But today, today was different.  I actually wanted to play, to just let go and be.  I went to my monthly art class and the topic was creating a mixed media layout.  It was fun to play, to try things that I knew how to do but always approached tentatively.  The circuit breaker tripped and the lights went out in our room but I continued working, splashes of paint here, rubber stamp there, stencil over there; finger painting,  just playing.  I am not finished with the page, I am waiting for it to tell me what it needs next and I know it will. In the mean time, I am mesmerized with the prospect of just playing and see where it all will lead.



April 13:

Started working on a project to make postcards.  They are little pieces of art and so much fun to do.  Tonight was also the first night of Bible Study and I think it is going to be very interesting.  We will be studying the Parables of Jesus in the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke).


April 14:

The children in Religious Ed were great today.  Having a Hangman Tournament and trivia game to review their lessons has been so much fun. They are so engaged and have really learned a lot.  At the present time the girls are ahead by 2 points.  Next Tuesday if the final game, cannot wait.


April 15:

Worked on my postcards are coming together, I love painting the backgrounds.  I am going to work on more backgrounds in my art journals also.  I just love the blending of the colors, and I want to experiment with various paints.  This should prove interesting.




April 16:

I have a pen pal, associated with National Letter Writing Month.  I decided to put together a happy mail box to send along with the letter and it was fun.  One thing I have found out about the National Letter Writing Month project, you meet some really nice people.  We have to remember that it is nice to receive mail as opposed to always getting messages via social media.  Please do not misunderstand, social media is cool and immediate; but it is nice to communicate the old fashioned way.  I love the mixture and it is so nice to get something other than bills and junk mail.


April 17:

I completed the post card I made for the Love Notes project.  No picture because my buddy has not received it as of this posting.  I need to get back in the habit of portraiture I have been slacking off and that is not good.

I am officially behind on LifeBook and DLP.  So many projects to work on I am a little overwhelmed.   But I will get myself together and get into it again.


April 18:

Another Saturday......Relatively quiet day, a little grocery shopping and then a little arting.  Loved the day.

Well, that is all for this week.  Take care and be well.




1 comment:

Jackie PN said...

Sounds like a great week!! I love getting mail also- I so agree-nothing like a handwritten note or letter! ")