Monday, November 09, 2015

Week 3 of 30 days of painting the same canvas



The third week is here and it is hard to believe.  I have actually been painting on the same canvas since Oct. 14th.  The 30 days will actually end on Oct. 13th my brother's 65th birthday.  He died of congestive heart failure 10 years ago and I think of hime often.  So it seems so perfect to honor his day in this manner.

As I work through week three I have had some profound thoughts, at least for me anyway.  I often observe the techniques of other painters, the softness of colors; the ability to make portraits so lifelike and want to be like them.  It can really be frustrating to try and achieve the effect of another.  It occurred to me that what I need to do is perfect my own style, embrace my palette and enjoy my process.  That takes a lot of pressure off my shoulders.  

I am learning a lot during this 30 day process, not just about painting but about myself.



Day 15
Gesso and Dylusions spray inks

Day 16
Golden Acrylics, Stencilgirl club stencil, black and blue stabilo pencils
Day 17
Golden Acrylics, white and turquoise craft acrylic and black acrylic paint in fine liner
Day 18
Acrylic, gold acrylic

Day 21 More subtle changes

Day 20
Flowers changed, book page added, rubber stamp dragon fly,  acrylic glaze


Day 22
Patti Tolley Parish Stencil added to top, love this stencil

23 and 24
White grease pen added for depth, Hurricane stencil from  Art Anthology

The end of week 3, the number of days is a bit off due to technical error but hey, it is all about being human.  Anyhoo, I thoroughly enjoyed the work this week and know it will be hard to cover it up, but cover it up I must as I continue this quest.

Observations for this week:


  • trial and error can be really fun.
  • There are times when I need to just play and see where it goes
  • I am finally getting really comfortable with not having a solid plan
  • a canvas can hold up to a lot of abuse and changes
  • this has affected my view on life
Week 4 is the last week for this current challenge,

2 comments:

Christine said...

I think all of us, as artists, see others' work and get frustrated because we aren't able to produce the same thing. But that's not the point of making art. I've come to believe that our art needs to be a reflection of who we are as individuals. The world doesn't need a copy of someone else's stuff, it needs the unique touch that each artist brings to it. You have a very distinct style that is emerging, and I so enjoy seeing YOUR vision of things. Your vision enlarges mine -- and isn't that what it's all about after all?!

Pilgrim said...

Thanks so much Christine. This had been a life changing process and I do feel that I have grown as a result. your comments are very encouraging and enlightening.